Running a small business can bring great satisfaction and reward, but it also brings worries. There are the clients, possibly suppliers and employees, plus a whole range of other interactions and arrangements that all come together to make a business unique – and operational. The problem with all of these hourly, daily, weekly encounters is that they bring the potential for disagreement or dissatisfaction and possibly a costly and stressful legal dispute.
Hiscox Legal Protection Insurance can help to ease the worry of what a client would do if faced with a dispute. It’s underwritten by the market leaders in specialist legal insurance, DAS, and covers the cost of the commercial legal advice and representation required to defend legal rights relating to employment disputes, legal proceedings, property protection, bodily injury and tax protection, along with commercial disputes and debt recovery.
How Hiscox Legal Protection Insurance covers the business:
- up to £100,000 for legal costs incurred defending a claim. For example, it would help cover the appointment of solicitors, barristers and expert witnesses
- access to the DAS legal advice helpline, which can help a business deal with disputes with suppliers, tax enquiries, and problems with employees
- free access to our expert tax advice helpline, DAS employment manual and DAS BusinessLaw online database which includes document building tools including letter templates to help you run your company.
Our legal protection insurance covers claims relating to:
- Employment disputes and compensation awards – such as employment tribunals and disputes arising from employees, prospective employees and ex-employees
- Non-motor criminal prosecutions and certain civil legal proceedings
- Your property – following damage, nuisance or trespass
- Bodily injury – assistance to pursue the legal rights of an insured person following their death or bodily injury
- Tax protection – representation in appeal proceedings of a full or aspect enquiry or VAT dispute.
- Contract disputes – DAS will negotiate the policyholder’s rights in a contractual dispute exceeding £250 and relating to the purchase, hire, sale or provision of goods or services.
- Debt recovery – DAS will negotiate the policyholder’s rights in the recovery of money and interest due from the sale or provision of goods or services exceeding £250.
- Cover for contract disputes and debt recovery
- As part of our legal protection insurance, we provide cover for contract disputes and debt recovery. It’s particularly suited to contractors and consultants, whose delivery of a service or contract could be challenged by a client, perhaps because of late delivery or disagreement over the scope of a piece of work.
Tel: 01509 274004